I always thought it was such a farce to watch a movie in which a pregnant woman is hit by a middle-of-the-night craving for a sandwich or watermelon and her poor, sleepy-eyed husband would graciously tumble out of bed, scramble for his shoes and make his way to the nearest 24-hour grocery store.
After all, that never happens.
At midnight.
But at 9:07pm.....yeah, that can happen.
Tonight, baby Rapunzel wants cookies. NOW! No, not now. Like 10 minutes ago.
And not that store-bought crap. Homemade cookies.
And not Clarke's homemade cookies (sorry hon), but oatmeal cookies with (gasp) walnuts.
So instead of playing the role of the helpless preggo who is so hungry that she can't get out of bed to make her own sandwich, I am playing the role of the preggo who conquers her insatiable cravings by ravenously scouring the internet for the perfect cookie recipe, tearing through the pantry and in record time collecting all the necessary ingredients and expertly whipping up a batch of creamy cookie dough.
But there's a catch. There's always a catch.
I didn't read the recipe very well because when I got to the part that the dough needed an hour to chill, I almost sat down on my kitchen floor and cried. In abject desperation, I tossed the cookie dough into the freezer, hoping to cheat the "chill" time because there is no absolutely way I am going to make it to 10pm unless it's with a cookie in each hand.
And a glass of milk close by.
I believe they call this being a good mother (and not a crazed preggo with a mad craving for sugar!)