Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mission Accomplished?



I suppose you could say that I have a love/hate relationship with Brock's staunch independence.
I love that I don't have to hold his hand through everything.
And I hate that I don't get to hold his hand through everything.
He is, after all, my only little boy. 

Today, he wanted to ride the bus to school.
As he curiously and confidently stepped up onto the bus, 
I was left standing on the street corner watching as the bus doors closed and
drove away with my heart on board. 

For several minutes after the bus had left our street, I stood there,
keys and purse in hand, ready to jump in my car and meet the bus at school,
just to make sure that Brock had made it safely.
But, sometimes you just have to trust you've taught your child everything
he needs to know and he'll be okay. Without you.
For the next 7 hours. At least.