Monday, September 26, 2011

Crisis Averted


My first thought, when I hung up the phone last Friday morning, was, "I wish they had never called."

Sometimes opportunities present themselves at the wrong time and this was one of those situations. It was an opportunity with a deadline of that afternoon, leaving hardly enough time to fully digest the pros and cons and to formulate a sound conclusion.

Last May, we were devastated to learn that Brock's name had not been chosen in the Falcon Ridge Charter School's annual lottery, determining which new students would be attending the charter school that fall
. The letter of non-acceptance arrived and we were asked to sign it and send it back to allow Brock's name to be added to the school's waiting list. The letter sat on my kitchen counter for two weeks, daring me to sign my name and mail it back. I clearly remember the day, I crumpled up the letter and tossed it in the garbage, not out of spite towards the charter school, but because we felt it was not in Brock's best interest to change schools mid-year, should there be an opening at the charter school.

When Falcon Ridge Charter School called me on Friday morning to notify me that they had an immediate opening in the kindergarten class and that Brock was next on the waiting list, it seemed like a no-brainer answer; though, I was stunned that Brock's name still made it to the wait list, despite my not returning the signed consent form. I called Clarke and he and I both agreed that since this is what we initially wanted for Brock, we would accept the open spot. I spent that afternoon making all the necessary arrangements.

But, I couldn't shake the overwhelming feeling that something was very, very wrong with our decision.
In fact, I was physically ill. And it had nothing to do with my pregnancy.

All weekend long, I dreaded the changes that our family was about to make. On Sunday afternoon, Clarke also began receiving promptings that we were making a mistake by pulling Brock out of public school and putting him in the charter school. Neither one of us could explain why something we had wished for initially was now causing us so much gut-wrenching turmoil. After all, this was allegedly an educational advantage for Brock. Right?

 Crisis Averted....

After much discussion, Clarke and I decided to decline the charter school's invitation. This morning, I made all the necessary arrangements to re-enroll Brock at the public school, with the same schedule and teacher. It is as though a gazillion pound burden has been lifted from our shoulders and we feel such comfort and peace with our decision; although, we can't fully explain why. Except, that prayers are answered, even if the answer isn't what we hope or expect.

Did we make the right decision? Absolutely.