Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Inevitable


It started on Thursday. Brock woke up with a spontaneous, deep cough, out of nowhere I might add, which continued throughout the day and well into the night when his cough became a bark and I knew we were dealing with croup.........again. Poor kid coughed and cried all night long.

The bark was gone on Friday, but the cough had gotten worse and was now accompanied by a fever of 102*. Tylenol. Motrin. Tylenol. Motrin. Yeah, you seasoned moms know the drill. Friday night was another sleepless, tearful night for my uncomfortable, sick little boy.

By Saturday, Brock seemed to be doing better. The cough did not seem as bad and he had more energy, enough to play wildly with cousins.

However, another coughing, sleepless night for Brock and a Sunday morning of hacking coughs signaled that he and daddy would be staying home from church. By the time I got home from church, Brock was lethargic and in tears. Upon seeing me, he burst into uncontrollable sobbing (I have that effect on him. I know...weird.) and clung to my leg, crying, as I attempted to make dinner. His ears hurt. So it was off to the doctor where ear infection was confirmed and then off to find the ONLY pharmacy open on a Sunday night in Boise. We got home several hours later. Exhausted.

Come Monday morning he felt great! But I was a total zombie. Several consecutive nights of sleeplessness had finally caught up with me and I was dragging. Being a mom means that you forget yourself. Literally. You forget to sleep. You forget to shower. You forget to do your makeup and then someone knocks on your door and it is only then that you remember how truly hideous you look. Unh!

Well, my sacrifice did not go unacknowledged by Brock. Sweetheart, that he is. Brock, in turn, practiced a little selflessness of his own.

He shared his cold with mom.