Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Helpless...and Quite Frankly, Pathetic


You've seen the movie clip.
The helpless damsel maliciously tied to the train tracks.
The locomotive thundering toward the woman.
And then the male hero courageously bursts into the scene,
momentarily panicked by what he sees,
before unbinding the heroine (in record time!)
and rescuing her to safety mere seconds before the train thunders past.

****

I was the helpless damsel this morning.
Sitting in my car in the Joann Fabrics parking lot.
Mortified. Humiliated. Pathetic.

The rope that bound me was a flat tire and my "locomotive" was the clock.
Just like the helpless woman tied to the train tracks, I had no idea what to do
...besides call on my very own superhero (enter Clarke).

Yeah, but here's the thing: I DON'T want to be the helpless female.

If I had been smart and clever, I would have taken Clarke up on his many
invitations to learn how to change a tire and then I would have been
a modern day Rosie the Riveter, flexed my muscles, and changed my own flat tire.
Then, I could have bragged to Clarke about my ordeal over dinner
rather than pathetically appealing to him over the phone to rescue me.

It was humiliating.
And humbling.

As a result, I am going to change a tire on my car this weekend. Just for fun.
(and with superhero supervision...just in case I break something)


So, no more of this "stupid girl" stuff:


From now on, I'm going to be this: