Monday, January 11, 2010

$.10


Brock and I stood in front of the checkout counter at the library this afternoon, our arms burdened with illustrated adventures, political commentary, financial advice, and two dvds. Across the counter stood the library worker; circulation specialist, poorly paid government employee, or whatever you choose to call her. She was not a librarian. Nevertheless, there is something about a library employee that fully realizes that deservedly stereotypical vision of the snooty librarian; library science degree or not. I should know. For seven years, I worked behind a similar library desk, just like the visibly irritated library employee standing across the library counter from me this afternoon.

"You have a ten-cent fine."

"Okay," I said happily,"I'll pay it on our next visit."

She looked at me as though I had just threatened to strangle her grandmother.

Smiling condescendingly, she tensely replied "We really need you to pay that fine."

Or what??

Will the library crumble over night without my dime to help hold up the roof?

"I'll pay it at our next visit." I repeated, inwardly rolling my eyes.

She glared at me for a moment.
Yes, she GLARED, as though admonishing a small and disobedient child!

I felt like giggling uncontrollably because I knew how to play her game.
I used to be a champ at it!

Finally, she topped off her brilliant performance with the classic "snooty" librarian remark:
she huffed at me!

In that instant I felt like gleefully clapping my hands together and congratulating her on an oscar-worthy performance.

So the next time you're faced with a snooty library employee, as that person is glaring down their nose at you, perhaps drumming their fingers on the desk and speaking with a tsk tsk in her voice, remember that its all part of the show!



To be fair, I worked with some AMAZING librarians. Phenomenally nice and wonderful people.
Not every librarian acts like a "librarian." Thank heavens, because libraries are great places to be!