Thursday, December 9, 2010

Inspired

Confession: I love hot glue.
And mod podge.
And glitter.
And I'm completely hopeless when it comes to crafting blogs.

So, when I saw this picture (find it here), I wanted to do something similar.
 Using my favorite black shelf (courtesy of my talented husband), I created my own version
 For years, I had four styrofoam cones laying around the house just waiting to be crafted. Initially, bought them to make scrapbook paper trees, but, yeah, that didn't ever happen. Then I used them to display chocolate dipped marshmallows at Halloween, punching dozens of holes in each cone. After Halloween, I tossed them above the cabinets in my laundry room--a place where things are seldom seen ever again.
 That's when I came across the brilliant idea to make glitter Christmas trees and I had to haul out the ladder and head to the tippety top of my laundry room cabinets to search for the discarded cones.

These are soooo easy to make. Simply slather your styrofoam in glue, splash on some glitter and let dry for 24 hours. Voila!
If, however, you're like me and had punched tons of holes in the trees and all efforts at filling them met with failure, then you can use the adhesive pearls from the craft store (in the $1 section) and polka-dot your trees.
It adds a more whimsical flair, I think.