Friday, December 3, 2010

Giving

The Christmas Foodie Strikes Again!

Who doesn't like receiving gifts??

Better yet, who doesn't like GIVING gifts?

This year, I have scoured my favorite blogs to find the perfect DIY edible Christmas gifts for friends and neighbors. Most years, we adopt the old tried and true cookie and candy plate. This year, I want to step things up.

Here is what I'm thinking about...

From Martha Stewart:
I would fill cones these with homemade sugar roasted almonds.

Also from Martha...
Homemade Peppermint Marshmallows

I don't have a source for this--but chocolate dipped waffle pretzels
sandwhiching what looks like a shortbread cookie. Mmmm..
And packaged in a cute tin!

Another phantom source, but I love the tag, don't you?

Chocolate mini-cupcakes with a real candy cane center?!! Unique...
...and probably completely delicious!

Gingerbread Star Tree! Easy. Cute. Fun!

I love this next one, but it could also make a great summer party gift or something for the 4th of July.
Whatever the reason, I've always wanted to make these and give them away!

 The tag says 'Valentine's Day' but I think this would also make a great Christmas gift.
Not to mention, chocolate dipped pretzels are way fun to make. And eat. And eat. And eat.

Who doesn't love the smell of homemade bread?
One year, we received a loaf of homemade bread and it
was delicous. A lot of love goes into a gift like this!

 I make a version of these fabulous little candies and they are a HUGE hit with everyone.
My version includes a waffle pretzel topped with a Rolo, slightly melted, and then squished with a pecan.
These cuties use a waffle pretzel topped with a peppermint kiss, slightly melted, and then squished with an M&M. Gotta say, I kind of love all this adorableness!

Peppermint cookies dressed up like candy. LOVE IT!
The idea is from Southern Living 

HOWEVER,
after much deliberation,
I have decided on this:


From the brainchild behind Make It Do ...
Baking Santa cookies on Christmas Eve is one of those things that sounds delightful and charming on paper, but somehow that day is merrily chaotic around here and the convenience of dumping a jar of ingredients into my KitchenAid with an egg, vanilla and butter and throwing it in the oven for 10 minutes seem like a dream come true. When I give a gift, I try and think of something that I would love to receive and that is what  makes this Santa Cookies jar an easy winner!

And besides, I have it on good authority that Santa would really appreciate these
ooey-gooey charmers, with a generous glass of milk, on his...or her big night:


Happy Gifting!