Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Hunting Season or How Spaghetti Sauce Saved the Day


Yesterday as I was working on the computer and Brock was playing in the backyard, I heard a tapping at the back door and looked up to see Brock standing on the other side of the window wearing a goofy grin, happily waving his hand. "Look! I found a roly poly, mommy! I'm just going to put it in my room." He said it so matter-of-factly that I knew I had to act fast. Quickly, I searched through the pantry for the one and only empty jar I had stashed away, thanks to spaghetti sauce, and was able to save my house from a roly poly invasion by showing Brock how to make a great home for a bug. We explored the backyard to find the perfect home decor for Brock's bug jar and decided on two maple leaves, several blades of grass and a handful of dirt. To which, Brock added about 30 rocks. He then proceeded to spend the entire afternoon hunting for bugs to fill his jar. He was delighted with the hunt and it gave me plenty of time to work uninterrupted. The perfect win-win situation, thanks to an empty jar and a summer afternoon.


Brock's best Gene Simmons impression...