
This year a rather unlucky red-breasted robin chose our lopsided, lace leaf maple as the home for her spring nest. We watched the nest eagerly for a first glance at the new family growing from within it's twigs. Last night our amateur birdwatching efforts paid off...

Last night Clarke also noticed that the nest looked like it was beginning to tip and after some conversation, we decided to not to interfere with the nest. I really wish we had though...
Because the cradle fell.

It was Brock's cries of alarm, this afternoon, that alerted me to the fact that the nest had not only tipped but that two of the fledglings had fallen out of the nest and were lying at the base of the tree. Max and Meli were anxiously sniffing at them. I went into freaked out momma bird mode and quickly locked the dogs in the kennel before assessing whether or not the babies were dead. I used a stick to gently poke at the unmoving bodies.
They stirred.
I was holding my breath and might have passed out had they not reacted to the poking.
The momma bird was chirping madly at us and there was a non-stop flurry of birds all over the place. I know how she feels. Losing a baby is all too fresh a feeling for me and I imagine she probably feels the same way.
There is still one little fledgling in the nest.

The two little fallen fledglings seem to be okay, nested in the grass. For now.
When Clarke gets home, we'll borrow a taller ladder and try and remedy the situation.

To be continued......
UPDATE!
Momma bird watched her babies all afternoon, delivering juicy worms to her hungry babies in their grassy nest at the base of the tree. There were two robins flying about and I'm assuming that the other bird was "dad."


Fortunately Clarke was able to reach the nest as the two anxious parents flapped wildly around him--undoubtedly panicked. The one little fledgling was still in the nest and in a matter of minutes, all babies were tucked safely together in a nest that seemed several sizes too small to accomodate them. They chirped insanely at their hero.


Clarke put the nest back up on the same branch---a little more steady this time and after an hour, the ever watchful parents finally returned to feed their babies in what must have been a very happy reunion.
Now, if only they'll stop chirping at 6 a.m. EVERY morning....