Friday, January 7, 2011

In Our Next House...

So on New Year's Eve, we went house hunting, just for fun. Well, kind of for fun and kind of for serious and all the while we heard a familiar, whiny voice trailing from the backseat, "Let's go home, this is boring." Reluctantly, after about an hour and copious amounts of bribery, we gave into the whining and turned in the direction of home, back to our dark, little cave that pales when compared with some of the beautiful houses we had driven by that afternoon.

Swanky houses with enormous....
WINDOWS! WINDOWS! WINDOWS!

Maybe it's just the artist in me that appreciates floor-to ceiling natural light or perhaps its the fact that big, beautiful windows make a room feel larger, cleaner, crisper, fresher and far more interesting and imaginative. I find house hunting online slightly discouraging because it appears that many of the available houses, the ones in our presumed price range, come with your standard (which here means average verging on crappy) size windows, and few of them at that. As I sigh or roll my eyes as I peruse the listings, my level-headed Clarke is always there to remind me that we can add windows to whatever house we choose.

Which is a darn good thing because this is what I had in mind, honey...



I call this a Christmas tree window. From Thanksgiving through New Year's, why not showcase your largest and perhaps most iconic Christmas decoration??? C'mon admit it, you like seeing all those brightly lit trees in the front windows for your neighbor's houses. A floor-to-ceiling window is the perfect frame for your Christmas tree!

Here are some other great living room candidates that would frame a Christmas tree beautifully and add that certain je ne sais quoi the 11 Christmas tree-less months of the year.

 Our Christmas tree works well with our little bay window in the living room, but imagine what an impact these big bay windows would lend to a living room and to a Christmas tree!!  


The ESSENTIAL kitchen window. There are no compromises on this one--
I will have a kitchen window in our next house!

Wouldn't this make a grand studio window???
The correct answer is an enthusiastic YES!

Dear wall-o-windows, how I love thee...
Okay, so I'll address the whole dining room thing in another post, but just for kicks, don't you love the intersecting wall of windows?




In our current house, we have a sliding glass door which exits to the backyard. We're really "meh" about it and have entertained dozens of conversations about replacing it with french doors. Then we get into the whole, "Do we really want to put that much money into this house?" discussion and the idea of french doors goes ca put!

So imagine how giddy the idea of LOTS of french doors makes us?!

I know, it makes you giddy too, doesn't it?


Oh, what the heck....a little extra giddiness never hurt anyone:



Deep down, I know that if we ever put installed windows like these beauties, it wouldn't come with that view--so instead imagine a redwood fence, a couple of floppy golden retrievers, one active, little boy wielding a lightsaber, maybe a few trees and some green grass. Do you see it? Yup, even that backyard scene would look great out these windows...


Sometimes, oh who am I kidding (?), MOST of the time, a fabulous window is all you need to dress up a drab wall and for pity's sake, let the light shine in. So au revoir solid walls in our next house. You're getting the boot!

But more importantly, ciao dark, dank little cave of ours, we're literally moving out of the dark ages!!
Soon...hopefully!