Brock helped himself to nine cups the day he learned how to carefully manage the gallon of milk .
He can also dresses himself, showers on his own, can open the car door and climb into his booster seat, secure the seat belt and close and lock the car door behind him. He also pours his own cereal every morning and helps make a pb&j at lunchtime.
After hugs and kisses and a bedtime story last week, I tiptoed out of Brock's room and lightly whispered "I'll check on you in a little while." To which, my precocious child knowingly responded, "You don't have to check on me, mommy. I'll be just fine."
With bitter-sweetness, I recognize one new task that Brock has mastered every day. As a mom, I find his new found independence equally exciting and terrifying. Exciting to watch him embrace and learn from new challenges. Terrifying to imagine that my little boy is learning to live without his mom a little more each day. I once read a quote that our responsibility as parents is to teach our children to one day live without us. I used to think that it was a very profound message until I became a mom and now a message like that guarantees instant alarm.
Am I really teaching Brock to live independently of us?
And then a day like today comes along.
At 5:17 a.m., just 13 minutes shy of hearing the unwelcoming chimes of my alarm clock, Brock wandered into our room, Mr. Squishy (his pillow) under one arm. He climbed into our bed and snuggled into me. I reached over to pull him closer and felt it. His skin was on fire.
Squinting our eyes against the shock of the bright kitchen light, I carried him to the counter and began rummaging through our medicine cabinet for the thermometer.
Brock had a fever of 102 degrees!
He can also dresses himself, showers on his own, can open the car door and climb into his booster seat, secure the seat belt and close and lock the car door behind him. He also pours his own cereal every morning and helps make a pb&j at lunchtime.
After hugs and kisses and a bedtime story last week, I tiptoed out of Brock's room and lightly whispered "I'll check on you in a little while." To which, my precocious child knowingly responded, "You don't have to check on me, mommy. I'll be just fine."
With bitter-sweetness, I recognize one new task that Brock has mastered every day. As a mom, I find his new found independence equally exciting and terrifying. Exciting to watch him embrace and learn from new challenges. Terrifying to imagine that my little boy is learning to live without his mom a little more each day. I once read a quote that our responsibility as parents is to teach our children to one day live without us. I used to think that it was a very profound message until I became a mom and now a message like that guarantees instant alarm.
Am I really teaching Brock to live independently of us?
And then a day like today comes along.
At 5:17 a.m., just 13 minutes shy of hearing the unwelcoming chimes of my alarm clock, Brock wandered into our room, Mr. Squishy (his pillow) under one arm. He climbed into our bed and snuggled into me. I reached over to pull him closer and felt it. His skin was on fire.
Squinting our eyes against the shock of the bright kitchen light, I carried him to the counter and began rummaging through our medicine cabinet for the thermometer.
Brock had a fever of 102 degrees!

Lethargic and sleepy, Brock spent his day camped out on our bed, PBS kids on tv, although the shows were largely ignored. "Mommy, I want you to snuggle." All day long, it was precious reassurance; proof, that even though Brock is growing up, mommy is still a very important part of his day.
My mom used to tease my brothers and me by telling us that she wanted to put us in a little mason jar so that we would stop growing up. At the time, we would just giggle at her.
Sadly, I understand now.
Kids grow up way, way, way, way too fast.