Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Get Your Spooky On!

Martha Stewart meets Better Homes and Gardens.
That was the look I had been imagining for weeks as I had contemplated how to haunt my house for Halloween. However, with a realized budget hovering within the ballpark of absolutely nothing, zero, zilch, nada, I had a tremendous challenge on my hands.
Here is how we got our "spooky on" with a budget of $0.00.

First, we grew our own pumpkins.
Freshly chopped:


Perfecto!
We attempted a few "GIANT" pumpkins this year and our efforts yielded two.
One lopsided and off color giant and one that looks like it rolled right out of the catalog for "perfect" gourds.
Mr. Perfect weighs at a hefty 45 pounds and dwarfs even a "giant" green apple.

Then, we spiffed up white lampshades with text using our printer and some transparent sticker paper that we had lurking about in a dark corner of our computer desk.
Cost: $0.00








Wrapping pillar candles with scrap paper and embellishing with ribbons is a fantastically
inexpensive way to make your candelabra scream "SPooKtAcUlAr!"
The cost to wrap my pillar candles: $0.00!!!!





Suspending spiders from chandeliers, ceiling fans, picture frames and lampshades
adds that certain sense of whimsical creepy that every Halloween house requires...
Cost: $0.00


Spray Paint!!!!

Spray paint=instant amazing, wonderful makeover!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE spray paint and make a point to keep several cans in the garage for those
rainy days when spray painting a picture frame, a vase, and yes, even the garage floor (oops!), can result in an instant happy makeover. These candle holders were "gray" yesterday morning when I woke up and "fabulous" when I went to bed last night...
Cost to go from geek to chic: $0.00


Who doesn't love a good hanging???


Give me two large squares of white fabric (cut frantically around the edges),
two balloons, some heavy-duty white thread, a honkin' big needle,
and some "texty eyeballs" and I'll give you two hanging ghosts!
Cost: $0.00!


Butchering our pumpkins won't happen for another two weeks, so we decided to take them from homegrown awkwardness to pumpkins disguised as something silly and sensational.
Not surprising, Brock fits right in...



Oh, alright. I concede the fact that I fell short of achieving my Martha Stewart meets Better Homes and Gardens Halloween house vision on my current budget, but it was sure fun trying!