Thursday, July 21, 2011

We're having a...

As I lay on the table at the doctor's office with the cold, blue ultrasound goo pooling on my swollen abdomen, I almost shot Clarke a knowing and mischievous wink because in a matter of seconds we were about to find out that I had won our gender bet.
The doctor began moving the ultrasound wand across my belly and the baby appeared on the black and white screen, as did the one liter of orange juice I had consumed the previous hour and tried to hold in, even resorting to the infamous little girl pee pee dance while waiting our turn for the ultrasound room. After all a full bladder = optimal baby gender shots!
In spite of the copious amounts of sugar I had ingested to help "wake" up baby, there he lay, peacefully exercising his mouth while he slept. SLEPT. Awwww. My son.

Thankfully, our baby was sleeping with his legs wide open and there we saw it...
...or rather didn't see........
a penis. 

"This looks like a baby girl," the doctor announced. 
She was pointing to the lack of boy parts on the black and white image swimming on the screen just to the right of my belly.

Hmmmm...there must be something wrong with the machine...

The doctor admittedly did a thorough exam of the area in question and determined that she was 95% certain that we were expecting a girl. 

A GIRL?
A GIRL?
A GIRL.
A GIRL!

Clarke was very diplomatic not to sneer or crow about his victory as lesser human beings might do.
Namely, myself.
Instead, he was smiling ear to ear like a proud daddy and I couldn't help but concede the bet and smile myself, because this means that I will have a son and a daughter. One of each.

Aside from our healthy baby sleeping off the orange juice sugar high, everything else checked out great. Translation; the cerclage is holding beautifully and my doctor is fully confident that my body can sustain this pregnancy to (or near to) full term!!! Unless, of course, it doesn't. But let's pray on the glass is half full approach and plan for another December birthday for our little family.

A girl.....we're having a girl...pink and stuff, right?


Time to shop, I think.