Friday, October 1, 2010

The Hunger Games


A few years ago, I had dear friends pleading with me to start reading a series of vampire books, written for a teenage audience. Vampire books (insert groan here)? After hearing them go on for hours and hours about the magnificence of the series and swooning over some weird guy, or...er vampire, named Edward, I finally broke down and bought 'Twilight.' Then, like every other vampire crazed mom in the country, I bought the rest of the series, saw the movies the day they debuted in the theater and threw parties celebrating vampires.
Really, Char, vampire parties??? Hehehe.

So when a friend of mine started talking up another young adult series of books, I sort of nodded and said, "That's great. I'll have to read them." Without, of course, any intention of reading them because look what that silly vampire series did to me! But when my personal library grew stale and I needed fresh literary meat, I thought, "why not?" and picked up a copy of 'The Hunger Games" from the local library.

First of all, let me say I am a huge NON-fan of sci-fi. When I heard that this was a sci-fi series, I almost gagged. Space stuff, right? Futuristic robots and such? *GAH* (((SNOOZE))) But, I admit, I let myself get sucked in and it wasn't as intellectually gruesome as I imagined and here's why: It could really happen. So it wasn't gruesome, but absolutely terrifying!

Imagine a futuristic version of America that is under evil totalitarian rule (Not so much of a stretch is it??? What did I tell ya, this could happen...). The country is divided into 12 districts, all ruled by 'The Capital (aptly named); a pompous place full of arrogance, materialism and waste (what did I tell you, aptly named...). The Capital controls each of the districts by severely limiting the one essential element of survival: food; the ability to grow or obtain it. As a result, most of the citizens of this dystopian society are tragically starving to death. Communication between the districts is all but forbidden and citizens must remain in their districts--surrounded by electical fences and risk death by venturing beyond their boundaries. Each year, by way of a lottery, two teenagers from each of the districts are chosen to compete in the annual Hunger Games; a barbaric and garrish entertainment akin to reality tv today. Think of it as a cross between 'Survivor' and 'Gladiator.' There is only one victor of each games; the sole survivor you might say. As in any totalitarian nation, however, revolution is brewing and the events of the Hunger Games forever change the fate of the nation.

In spite of the barbarism and unspeakable horror, 'The Hunger Games' is a rivetting read; thought provoking and intense. It really gives one reason to pause and consider the delicate balance between absolute power and control and liberty; freedom.

Kudos to Suzanne Collins for creating a series of books that will make people THINK!

Read them. You love and hate everything about the Hunger Games!
I promise!